We got a fish!
On our last day of school, last Friday, I had to bring home our class fish. Our science textbook company sent 24 goldfish to my classroom in January. After just a few days, 23 out of the 24 goldfish had died. They were obviously not the healthiest goldfish around. But one, lonely goldfish survived and we used him to learn about living things (or should I say "thing") in our aquatic ecosystem.
I assumed this fishy would die, just like the others, but he didn't. Apparently, the only way we're allowed to get rid of the fish is to put them in the freezer until they freeze to death and die. I know, whatever happened to flushing them down the toilet?! My sister had no problems freezing her leftover fishies, but I just couldn't do it.
So... on the last day of school, Mr. and Mrs. Weaver got a new family pet! I brought home the nameless fish - because you don't name science experiments (and because I just knew he was going to die soon). I stopped by Walmart on the way home and picked up decorations for his tank, along with a filter and a lid (again, I wasn't thinking he would make it this long, otherwise he would already have had a nice pad!) By the time Mr. Weaver had gotten home, the tank was ready and the only thing left was to give the fishy a name.
We decided right away on Gilbert. After going out to dinner with Brandi and hearing some song about Alejandro like 50 times, we decided his official name would be, "Gilberto Alejandro Weaver," but we call him Gilbert for short. Kyle insists that his name is "Nemo" so the fishy will probably have an identity crisis before too long.
Tysie is getting used to Gilbert, although she doesn't love the way his food smells. She also likes to try to find ways to get into his tank to swim. When we're at the lake, she likes to kiss/lick the fish we catch before we throw them back into the water, so I like to think she's just trying get in the tank to give Gilbert a kiss!
Anyway, here are a few pictures of Tysie and Gilberto! Hopefully soon Gilberto will have a buddy to keep him company in the tank... because he's obviously healthier than I thought. He'd better be... after spending $75 at Walmart to make his home pretty!
On our last day of school, last Friday, I had to bring home our class fish. Our science textbook company sent 24 goldfish to my classroom in January. After just a few days, 23 out of the 24 goldfish had died. They were obviously not the healthiest goldfish around. But one, lonely goldfish survived and we used him to learn about living things (or should I say "thing") in our aquatic ecosystem.
I assumed this fishy would die, just like the others, but he didn't. Apparently, the only way we're allowed to get rid of the fish is to put them in the freezer until they freeze to death and die. I know, whatever happened to flushing them down the toilet?! My sister had no problems freezing her leftover fishies, but I just couldn't do it.
So... on the last day of school, Mr. and Mrs. Weaver got a new family pet! I brought home the nameless fish - because you don't name science experiments (and because I just knew he was going to die soon). I stopped by Walmart on the way home and picked up decorations for his tank, along with a filter and a lid (again, I wasn't thinking he would make it this long, otherwise he would already have had a nice pad!) By the time Mr. Weaver had gotten home, the tank was ready and the only thing left was to give the fishy a name.
We decided right away on Gilbert. After going out to dinner with Brandi and hearing some song about Alejandro like 50 times, we decided his official name would be, "Gilberto Alejandro Weaver," but we call him Gilbert for short. Kyle insists that his name is "Nemo" so the fishy will probably have an identity crisis before too long.
Tysie is getting used to Gilbert, although she doesn't love the way his food smells. She also likes to try to find ways to get into his tank to swim. When we're at the lake, she likes to kiss/lick the fish we catch before we throw them back into the water, so I like to think she's just trying get in the tank to give Gilbert a kiss!
Anyway, here are a few pictures of Tysie and Gilberto! Hopefully soon Gilberto will have a buddy to keep him company in the tank... because he's obviously healthier than I thought. He'd better be... after spending $75 at Walmart to make his home pretty!
Tysie trying to get into Gilbert's tank
Still trying...
No comments:
Post a Comment