Wednesday, July 10, 2013

More Summer Fun!

Now that Gracie is two, there are so many fun things to do!  She's all about playing at the park and she can actually enjoy the swinging, sliding, climbing, and crawling all by herself. We spent time at English Landing Park last weekend and Steph and I were reflecting on how much easier it is to take the girls to the park. We could sit and chit chat a little while they played. It was a perfect night and the kids had a great time exploring new equipment. Gracie is getting more gregarious in her 'old' age and she's usually pretty successful in everything she tries. I'm amazed at her monkey-like skills!  

Gracie also had her first experience with school this week. She's been so stoked to attend VBS with Kyle and Kia. Her teacher was Mrs. Green, who also happened to be Kyle's preschool/preK teacher, too. Gracie thought it was the absolute bee's knees to be in Mrs. Green's class. She did pretty well overall. The week wasn't tear free, but she still looked forward to going every day. Being away from Momma all morning was difficult for Gracie, but she's learning that I always come to pick her up. I quite enjoyed getting to help out in other areas while she developed some independence of her own. My child is a stinker though... this morning as we were getting ready for VBS, I asked her if she was going to be a big girl at school today and try not to cry. She replied honestly by saying, "No, Momma. I do cry. I do."  I explained that she didn't have to cry because Momma always always comes back. And she just repeated, "I do cry, Momma. I do."  So I told her it was okay to cry, but she would still go to class anyway. And sure enough, she did cry. At least she's a woman of her word!  

As for a paci update, it's been a month now and we're over the paci.  She still tells the story of baby mouse and the broken paci, but the drama of losing her beloved has faded. When we were cleaning out the car last week, she voluntarily threw away the car paci. The one in her bedroom seems to have disappeared mysteriously.  So it may or may not have ended up in the trash already. All in all, bedtime was only a problem for 1 night. Nap time was another story. She's lost quite a bit of daytime sleep over losing her paci, but we're back in track now. I discovered the key to getting back on track about a week ago. After fighting naps for 3 weeks, I was desperate for her to get some daytime sleep, so I asked her if she'd prefer to sleep with her door open. The thought crossed my mind the night before because she'd had some fears about a monster. And I remember, as a child, feeling better about sleeping if my door was open. Anyway, I mentioned that to her thinking maybe the nap time issue was about losing her security when she lost her paci. I assumed bedtime wasn't an issue because she was so dang tired from no nap. My intuitions were right because now we leave the door open at all sleep times, and Gracie has taken a 2-3 hour nap 6 out of 7 days!  Momma considers that a victory!  I usually shut her door once she's conked out so that she stays that way. But every night she asks, "You leave that door open?"  Whatever works!  

As she gets older, this parenting-gig gets
more and more fun, challenging, and amazing!  It's pretty awesome to think that this wonderful person is my daughter. Most of the time, I think she is absolutely perfect!  In the few moments where her imperfections show through, I learn so much. I'm learning how to be patient and reflective and to teach some
of the hardest things to teach. Give me fractions and division any day. Teaching sharing and perseverance is so much harder.  But I'm trying!  

Some pics from the park (I love how much Gracie is in love with Natalie!)




VBS 2013





I had to include a picture of Gracie helping paint her big girl room. The work has begun and she is very excited about having a big girl room someday.  Ask her and she'll tell you, the walls are a pretty shade of "aqua". 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those kids sure are cute!! :)