Wednesday, May 16, 2018

A Whirlwind...

I haven't blogged in a long time, but I've decided to utilize this little space carved out for family memories to document a journey I'm about to begin.   My journey to fight breast cancer.

Here's how my journey began...

When I went in for my annual Well Woman exam on May 4th, I mentioned that I had noticed milk in my right breast.  I haven't nursed Hattie since she was 12 months old, so I didn't think that was normal.  I can't express any milk, but there's a crust on my nipple at the end of the day.  My doctor ordered some blood tests and a mammogram to rule things out.

On May 9th, I had my first mammogram, which led the doctor to do an ultrasound.  The ultrasound showed calcifications in and near my milk ducts.  This was a worry to the doctor because sometimes when your body doesn't like what's happening in an area, it will try to wall it off to prevent it from spreading. The calcifications weren't forming an entire wall yet, but they were in a suspicious pattern.  So on May 10th, I had an ultrasound-guided biopsy, which meant I could have it right there at the imaging center.  It was mostly painless and easy.  But the wait was stressful.

On May 15, I got the call that the results were in and my mom and I headed to the office to get results.  Turns out, I've got breast cancer.  DCIS, they said.  The doctor who did the biopsy explained that the cancer grows in milk ducts and it looks like mine is very, very early.  He said he can't be sure because lymph nodes need to be tested, but he thinks it could be as early as stage zero, which is great!  I've not googled it because I have enough to be scared of, without adding to the list.  But from what other people have googled, it seems to be very treatable and has very high survival rates.  The doctor said the first treatment is usually surgery.  They could opt to remove a portion of my right breast, or they may recommend a mastectomy and reconstruction.  He didn't know much about radiation or chemo following the surgery.

After a flurry of phone calls, I'm all set with the Breast Cancer Center at KU.  I'll meet my medical oncologist on Monday, May 21.  Then I'll meet my surgeon on Wednesday, May 23.  After those two appointments, I will have a clearer picture of what future tests and treatments and surgeries are ahead of me.  I have already decided that if they give me the option of having a double mastectomy with reconstruction, I will likely take that option.  I've always said that I'm not that attached to these girls and with the cancer history (of all kinds) that runs in my family, I'd rather get rid of any chance for it to grow.  Besides... I could go a little smaller and a little perkier!

Ryan and I have opted to wait to talk with the girls (specifically Gracie) about this until we have more answers.  After my appointments next week, we will share the news with them.  I know Gracie's a worrier and because no amount of worry will help this situation, I plan to choose my words very wisely with her.  I'd appreciate it if those if you reading this would choose your words carefully when  Gracie is around.  Both now and after we tell her.  I need prayers and I'm completely open to talking about things, but I don't want to scare my girls.  Cancer is a scary word and I'm hoping that this journey helps my girls to see the power of being proactive about your health. I'm also very, very, very confident in God's plan for His children.  Having been through rough patches before, I know that God is in control and His will for me is good.  I do not think He caused this cancer, but I do believe He will use it to strengthen my faith and reveal His glory.  I hope my daughters, family, and friends can be strengthened through this journey, as well.  Faith over fear, y'all.  That's what I tell Satan when he tries to take me on the worry train.  God has got me.  I don't know much about what's ahead, but I know He's holding me tight.

As my journey continues, I plan to update here on the blog.  I want to keep all of you in the loop and knowing what to pray for.  I am not always very good at texting and such.  I tend to put my phone down and come back later to find 25 unread texts.  It's just not my strength!  If you need a quick response, text my sister!  Haha!

For now, please pray for peace of mind.  Pray for strong faith.  Pray for wisdom in making decisions. Pray for health and joy in my future.

I'll update when I know more!

13 comments:

Fran said...

Prayers are definitely coming your way. Prayers for the doctors and medical professionals who walk this journey with you as well. We love you and feel free to reach out to us if you need anything. I’m always willing to help out with the girls as needed and have a supply of fruit snacks for them. You’ve got this and God will help you with that difficult conversation you are about to have with the girls. 🙏🙏🙏

Cassie Jones said...

Love you! We are praying for you. You already have a positive outlook which can be half the battle. I know God will guide you + Ryan to find the right words to pass along the news to any family member.

Cassie Jones

Unknown said...

So glad to hear you are on top of your health and you caught it as early as possible. And I agree with you, Smaller and Perkier!! Got to have some benefit out of this!! Love you am we are praying for you.

Unknown said...

Prayers for you and the entire family! Don't hesitate to yell if you need anything! God's got this!!!

Kristi said...

My love and prayers will be with you and your family every day.

Unknown said...

I am so glad it was found early. You are in good hands and as scary as this may seem, you look that cancer straight in it’s ugly face and say..not today! You will be in my prayers. You got this!!! Hugs friend!

Melanie said...

Sending prayers and love to the whole family. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you!

Rhonda Sue said...

I love your positive attitude��. I'm praying for you all. �������� Thank you for the privilege to pray for you. If I can assist, please ask.��

Diana Connelly said...

You are certainly in our thoughts and prayers. If you want to speak to a wonderful person who is your age and has been through this with a 3 year old (now 5), my Director would love to help you. She is part of a breast cancer support group at Gilda’s Club and knows all kinds of resources for you. Her doctors are at KU also. She is an RN and a wealth of practical information. Just say the word and I will hook you up. In the meantime, you stay strong and lean on Him!

Leah Lambart said...

Prayers for you and your family!

Brianna Smith said...

Oh Kristy! You are so very much in our prayers, and my thoughts. The grace with which you've written this blog and The confidence it's exuding, how admirable to show such strength. Thinking of you tonight and your wonderful family.

Diane Garcia said...

Kristy, you all are in our prayers. The power of prayer is so very powerful. I know God and I have become best friends over the last year.
You are right that God didn't give you cancer but chose you. I believe in how you trust in him and fight this battle will show your strength and love in him.
Stay positive and don't let any negativity in. This will help you to conquer this.
Your uncle and I are here for you and I just wish we lived closer but know that you all are in our prayers.
I truly believe God lead us in getting treatment for uncle and he continues to lead us.
Love you,
Aunt Diane and Uncle Emilio

Anonymous said...

7 Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. (‭Psalm‬ ‭63‬:‭7‬ NIV) Praying for you and your family Kristy!! So glad they found it this soon! Your faith has always been strong and I love how you are leaning on the Lord through this! He will be glorified! Love, Amy Phillips