Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Chemo #5

Today is round 5!  I'm glad to be getting closer to the end of this chemo journey.  To be completely honest, I cannot wait until it's behind me.  With each treatment, a new side effect pops up to make the recovery just a little bit harder.  I've always judged how close I am to an anticipated date by the due date on the milk I buy.  This weekend, I got milk that expires on September 18... that's only 6 days before my last chemo!  Yay!  It's getting closer and for that, I am grateful.






My most recent new and annoying side effect has been some lightheadedness.  I've become anemic and it causes me to get moments of feeling lightheaded.  It's the weirdest thing because it happens a lot (several times an hour) when I'm up and moving.  When I sit, it will usually slow down quite a bit.  They're running my iron and B12 levels to see if I can take a supplement to help.  If neither of those are low, then I just have chemo induced anemia and there's not much they can do to help.  I just need to keep eating as much protein as I can.  Pray that the lightheadedness fades, please.  It's super bothersome and makes me nervous to drive.  It could be a long 6 weeks to the finish line if this one doesn't get better.

Lately the hot flashes have also intensified.  I'm in a drug induced menopause right now, so having no cycle is lovely!  But the hot flashes come at nighttime and they are no fun.  For all of you ladies who have gone through menopause already, I'm sorry I didn't have enough sympathy for you.  I get it now.  All night I go from covers to no covers.  Comfortable to sweating, then freezing.  I can't even count how many times I wake up at night because of it.  From what I understand about the future of my treatment, it may include ovary suppression, so I think the hot flashes could be here to stay for a while.  I'm hoping things normal out on that front before too long.

During this last recovery phase, I caught a cold.  I was pretty worried that the recovery was going to be brutal, but I was wrong.  My sister, also known as Dr. Hurt (haha!), got me all set up with over-the-counter meds to dry up all my drainage.  Sure enough, within just a few short days, I was feeling better!  Because of the cold though, I decided to stay off work until my chemo is done.  It's just not possible to keep hands germ-free when I'm working.  We all touch the same supplies constantly and my immune system is just too compromised.  Everyone has been so understanding.  I'm so grateful for the people at work who have been so supportive of me.  I'm also in debt to Mrs. Greene because she's subbing for me through it all.  She's amazing!

I'd also like to ask for some prayers for my sweet Hattie.  This chemo journey has become pretty difficult for her.  She really doesn't like to see her Momma down.  She's become quite clingy and sad dealing with all of this while the big kids are in school.  I have so many great friends and family who have helped me with her so that she's not at home, watching me recover (thank you to all of you!) but even still, she just isn't herself.  And that's hard for me and for her.  So if you would, please pray that God would give her His peace with all of this.  I'd love for her to leave the sadness behind as we finish up this crappy phase of her childhood. There is plenty to look forward to in the next few weeks.  She turns 3 and is having a princess birthday party at an indoor pool.  We're all looking forward to some family fun with our people!

This was hesitant Hattie this morning on the way out the door.
Sweet girl loves her Momma!

I'm going to cut this blog short because I'm a little sleepy today.  The steroids I take the day before chemo make it difficult for me to fall asleep at night.  The doctor said some people feel like getting up to wash the windows in the middle of the night.  Unfortunately for my windows, I don't have that much energy!  I just can't fall asleep.  So I might take a snooze during treatment today!

I wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has reached out to encourage me about the decision to have a bilateral mastectomy with no reconstruction.  I sincerely appreciate the support and prayers of all of you.  While I can't say that I'm excited for surgery and figuring out what life will be like afterward, I am looking forward to getting this cancer out of my body and getting back to life without as many interruptions.

Updated Prayer Requests

  1. Please continue to pray that I don't get sick (I did get a small cold virus this week, and I am thankful that my body recovered pretty well)
  2. Please continue to pray that I won't require radiation after surgery
  3. Pray for God's peace to overwhelm Hattie's heart
  4. Pray that my lightheadedness subsides (quickly, if possible)
  5. Pray that the faith of those affected by my journey would be strengthened

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You’ve got this Sweetie!! And I understand your concern for Hattie. It broke my heart the journey my boys went through when we lost Poppi. All I can say to assure you is our babies are resilient and their memories of your strength are what will endure. Love you 4!! Hang in there and let us know if you need ANYTHING!!

Carol Knipp said...

Thank you for this update, Kristi! How thoughtful for you to let us all know how you're doing on these days. For hot flashes, 20 years ago with my treatment, Randy saw a little article in a magazine about how low dose (37.5 mg - 75 mg) Effexor was helping women who were having hot flashes due to treatment for breast cancer. I talked with my oncologist about it and he said he had heard about that, wrote me a prescription. I immediately went from having around 30 a day to an occasional warm moment a month. I call it my miracle drug! Still taking it. Just a thought. It sounds like Hattie is wanting to be around Momma. As you know, this Nonna just loves being around little girls. I'd be happy to come to your house and play with her while you're resting, or take her to some of her favorite activities. I have lots of dance recital costumes that my grands just love to play dress up with, and I'd be glad to bring them over. Call or text any time. 816-916-0841. Love you!