Wednesday, July 21, 2010

"It's like a tree house!"

Yesterday, my friend Sarah and I tackled a fun project for her daughter's bedroom. It all started when we were at the City Market in one of the boutique-ey shops and saw this super-cute faux tree decorated with butterflies, white lights, flowers, etc. Sarah and I both marveled at the whimsical look and thought it would really be cool to recreate in Avery's bedroom.

So there we sat, a couple of months later, with a roll of brown paper, some straight pins, yellow ticky-tack, fishing line, six strings of greenery, a few glittery flowers, and 4 homemade butterflies. Although we didn't have a clue how we were going to pull this off, we knew that between Sarah's decorative eye and my strategic problem-solving, we'd be able to figure it out.

And we were right... 7 hours later and a quick trip to Michaels and JoAnns, the project was complete... well, phase one of the project, anyway. It was really a very simple task... scrunching paper and cutting it to size for the trunk. The branches were just scrunching and rolling to make a long tubular shape. We pinned things to the walls and ceiling using straight pins and attached greenery using fishing line.

Sarah has more creative ideas to add to the tree. Avery has already chosen a birdhouse to paint and hang. There's plans to add other pieces to make it feel even more enchanting! When we had finished, I asked Avery to lay in her bed (which is right below the tree) and look up. She said, "It's like a tree house, it's like a tree house!" I was pleased with her excited response... I'll admit that I worried she would look up there and see a scary, dark tree, hovering over her and we'd have to think of a new plan (or move her bed!)

Here's Avery pretending to catch the butterflies in the tree!


It was a fun a project for two creative gals who never get to spend enough time together! I just hope that Avery didn't wake up this morning with green leaves and brown packing paper all over her bed!

No comments: