Wednesday, August 10, 2011

In her own bed

So tonight is a little bittersweet for Momma Weaver. Gracie is in her own bed for the first time. She's been sleeping soundly in there since 8:00 and Momma has mixed emotions. I'm sad because it feels like the end of an era. Daddy said 2 months is hardly and era, but I disagree. She'll never sleep in our room again. But again, Daddy disagrees. He said she will. Not that I want her in our bed very often, but I secretly hope he's right! I won't be listening to her infant grunts and moans as I drift off to sleep anymore. I won't be able to reach over to her cradle to feel her chest rise and fall. I won't be able to watch her innocently sleep every time I wake up at night. I won't be able to lean in and smell her newly washed baby-smell. There are so many things that will change once she's in her own bed. But I've decided that I can do all those things... I'll just have to get my tushy out of bed and walk across the hall to do them! Right?!

There are a few things to look forward to now that she'll be in her own bed. Right now, for example. She's in bed and we're awake. Daddy is snuggling with Tysie and I can blog again! Turning the ceiling fan on... I always thought it'd make her stuffy. Not stubbing my toe on the cradle when I get out of bed. Turning on the light when I wake before Gracie in the morning. Just a few little things I'm using to 'look on the bright side.'

I've always said life is all about choosing your attitude. I could be super sad that she's growing up so fast or I could choose to roll with the changes and be happy where we're at. I'm somewhere in the middle right now, but I'm trying to obey 1 Thessalonians 5:18. It says, "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." I'm trying to give thanks and rejoice for all the happiness God has given to me, rather than dwelling on the sadness that comes when time moves too quickly.

I'll update soon on her first night in her crib. Maybe she'll sleep till 4 or 5 am like usual. Maybe she'll get up several times tonight and need her Momma. Maybe I'm not sure which I'm hoping for?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, it is SOOO bittersweet! I'm anxious to hear how her night goes in her very own bedroom! Antie Steph spends time in your cousin's rooms, but Kianna wakes up everytime I go in to stare at her. Can you talk to her about that? Your Mommy is right-choose your attitude, but it's so hard when you guys grow up so fast!

Anonymous said...

Gracie-that should say "Auntie"...this blog is moving slow tonight! :( Love you and we'll see you soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah for 2 months of Gracie! I'm loving ALL of the pictures and maybe a little biased - but that red hair is fabulous!! I need to stop by and get my 'Gracie fix' seeing you and Ryan would be nice too :)

By the way I promise she'll be back in your bed..there will be thunderstorms and nightmares and late night chats when she can't sleep. You may even given in at bedtimes during the summer or an occassional weekend for movie nights! You'll pretend to be "annoyed" at the disruption and secretly love it even when you can't sleep because you have a child sleeping diagonally across your bed (hypothetical example of course). It *is* different but you'll still love every stage!

Laurie