Saturday, February 9, 2013

Book Storage

Gracie is all about books. She loves to be read to and she loves to read books herself (ie. flip trough the pages looking for puppies). But either way, Gracie's books end up on the floor a lot! Kyle and Kia are big readers too, so when we're altogether, pretty much every book ends up out. I LOVE that they're all readers, but I don't like that the kids can't pick up the books without a lot of assistance. They just end up in a heap on the shelves until I stand them up properly. Even Kyle has trouble putting books away the 'right' way.

So I decided to search Pinterest for book storage ideas. I ran across the idea of turning a bookshelf on its side to store things. It occurred to me that I could have Ryan build small shelves to help store books for little readers. I still wanted her books to be easily accessible, but I wanted the kids to be able to clean them up unassisted too! I also liked that they could choose their book by seeing its cover, instead of pulling out book after book because the spine isn't helpful when you can't read words yet.

After 2 hours in the garage and about $25 in wood, here's what Handy Daddy built for us! They're perfect and exactly what I imagined. Gracie has already put books away... independently and successfully!

Before and after... much better!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, don't forget to follow the Units of Study to sort by F&P Levels, Informational Texts and "Just Right" books-we wouldn't want our kids to be behind when they enter school. Oh yeah, set the timer when they read! By the way, well done, Ryan!

Kristy said...

Ha! Well, my units of study are all over the place! I'm pretty sure I've read about baby Jesus, Easter morning, Valentine's Day, and Jack-o-lanterns in the past week. So, when the kids are screwed up, you can blame me!