Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Homemade Granola Bars

As I mentioned before, I've been finding ways to save money and eat healthier by making my own version of some of our family's favorite foods.  More often than not, my homemade creation tastes better than the store bought item it replaces.  My homemade granola bars are no exception.  They taste fantastic!  Better than any granola bar I've ever bought.  I've also done some tweaking to save time and work, which makes me even happier!

I started with this recipe from The Cheapskate Cook (looking at the blog title made me like the recipe from the start!).  She offers plenty of tips and advice when making the granola bars, so if you're trying these for the first time, I'd definitely start there.  I've made 3 varieties - Blueberry Maple, Cranberry, and Chocolate Peanut Butter.  I've enjoyed all three flavors, but the loves in my life (specifically Ryan, Gracie, Stephanie, and Kyle) prefer the Chocolate Peanut Butter most.  So, that's pretty much the only variety I make right now.

In the original recipe, she has you press the granola mixture into a square baking dish, bake it, then cool and cut.  Let me tell you, it's not easy to cut through the thick, chewy goodness of these bars.  So... because I'm a genius (didn't you know that?!) I have come up with the lazy approach to making granola bars.  I use silicon cupcake liners... bought them at Walmart for $1.97 for 6 of them (I have 24), and they come in fun colors... but anyway, I press the granola mixture into silicone cupcake liners.  It cuts the baking time drastically, also cuts the cooling time, important only if you're an anxious 5 year waiting to devour your handiwork!

The recipe makes around 15 granola "muffins", which means I'd have to buy 3 boxes from the store to reach the equivalent.  They make it about a week and half at my house... but we eat them for breakfast, snacks, and dessert.

Here's my version of the recipe.  I'm not a measurer... so just eyeball it, you can't mess it up!

Ingredients:

  • 1 2/3 cup old fashioned oats (not quick cooking)
  • 1/3 cup flour (I use whole wheat, but it doesn't matter)
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 - 3 cups of nuts and chocolate chips (I just fill 2 - 3 cups with a mixture of walnuts, flaxseed, slivered almonds, and milk chocolate chips)
  • 6 Tbsp melted butter (non-dairy substitutes well)
  • A giant spoonful of peanut butter (the big silverware spoons - see, I'm not a measurer!)
  • 3 Tbsp water 
  • A giant spoonful of honey (squeeze until your fingers are hurting, that's plenty)
Directions:
  1. Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl (including the sugar).  This is a great time to involve kids of all ages (another reason why measurements aren't exact).
  2. Whisk together wet ingredients until smooth.
  3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients.  Stir to coat.
  4. Spoon granola mixture into silicon cupcake liners.  Press firmly to pack down granola.  I use another silicon liner as a "mitten" on my hand to prevent a mess.
  5. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. 
That's it!  They're super simple and seriously the best granola bars ever.  If they're too crumbly, add more water and/or butter.  The 10-15 minutes of baking time is a perfect time to fill the empty bowl with soapy water to wash all the sticky utensils.  Then when you pull the granola muffins out of the oven, you're done!  

And as I finished typing this post, Kyle came in from the kitchen asking, "Hey!  Where are the chocolate chip granola muffins?!"  See... approved by a picky 5 year old... must be good!  

No comments: