Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Farm Wife

Okay, so I'm not sure if I ever told you that my secret dream is to be a farmer's wife. I mean, I wish Ryan were a farmer and my main job was to take care of him, our children, and our home. I would be so happy to wear an apron and knead homemade bread on a regular basis. And of course, I'd churn homemade butter to go with our homemade bread. But that is just a dream. So instead, tonight (while watching Alcatraz on the DVR) I made Ryan help me "churn" butter. I read about it online and just had to try it.

It was super easy and satisfying to a wanna-be farmer's wife. All you need is a jar and some heavy whipping cream. Both of which I happened to have on hand tonight. You just fill the jar halfway with cream and screw the lid on tightly. Then shake vigorously for about 15 minutes. It will first become whipped cream-like (about 7 minutes in) then like watery butter. Keep shaking and the buttermilk will separate from the butter. Dump (or save separately) the buttermilk and rinse the butter by swishing some water in the jar. Use a fork to smash the butter, releasing any pockets of buttermilk. Again, dump the buttermilk. Salt butter to taste and enjoy! I've read that it's good for about a week in the fridge.

It was so yummy! Creamy and soft and perfect on fresh french bread! Mmmmmm! Ryan didn't want to try any. My 'farmer' didn't trust it. He has this weird thing with dairy... we'll discuss that later. But I loved it and will most definitely make it again.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, Nerned!!! Sometimes I wonder if you and I are still related....I bet your next post will be about riding your John Deere to Walmart!

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear cousin- I just went into anaphylaxis reading your post :) Could you at least knead gluten free bread with some whey/dairy free butter? I don't think that's TOO much to ask! :)

But in all seriousness I get it - miss you, Ryan and well let's be honest mostly Gracie! I’m pretty sure Callum is bigger than Gracie – maybe the gluten free/dairy free and lots of other good-free things may truly be fattening ;)

Hoping to hang out with you and the family soon!!!

LSB