Saturday, December 7, 2013

A Newborn Night

I often refer to the nights when Gracie (or Tysie) don't sleep well as 'newborn nights'.  You know, the nights where you have short periods of interrupted sleep, all through the night. Interruptions including, but not limited to... crying, scary dreams, upset tummies, puke, congestion, no reason at all.  

Well, last night my sister-in-law invited me to stay with her for Annabelle's last night in the hospital. I was so happy she asked because I love being able to help and snuggling my newest niece is always a perk!  Brandi and I can chit-chat for hours, and with all the hustle and bustle of the past few days, we hadn't gotten to chat as much. So it was really fun to cath up with each other, too.  As expected, it was a 'newborn night'!  For good reason... since Miss Annabelle is a newborn!  She was so good though, seriously didn't cry at all. A few whimpers, but so very content. Her momma did all the work, so I was just there for moral support. All total, I think B and I got 3-4 hours of sleep. 

Just like when I've stayed with Steph after all of her deliveries, plus my hospital stay with Gracie, I really do forget how tired the 'newborn nights' make you.  Every now and then we still have 'newborn nights' with G, but they are few and far between. But when they pop up, it totally zaps your energy for a bit. 

I'm probably forgetting other obstacles, but right now the only part of having another baby that scares me are the 'newborn nights'.  I know they don't last forever. And I know that in the grand scheme of things, that phase is short, but it is the hardest thing ever when you're going through it. And unfortunately, there's really no getting around it.  

My 'newborn night' adventure from last night was a welcomed experience. I am so happy that Annabelle and I have already had our first sleepover. No complaints from Aunt Kristy!  Plus 'newborn nights' are a lot easier when you know the next night isn't going to be one!  


No comments: