She has this thing about vacuum cleaners. It's a love/hate relationship. She doesn't want me to vacuum because she's afraid I'll "get her" with it. But at the same time, she's obsessed with the vacuum, both my real one and her play toy. Tonight I was vacuuming downstairs, and by the way she calls it vak-in-you-min (she is notorious for adding extra syllables, right Natalawie?!). So she gets out her toy vacuum and walks behind me, doing everything I do. Pulling out the wand, moving toys out of the way, stepping on her vacuum to engage the brushes (I didn't know her vacuum had that feature!). And then, before bed when I asked her what song she wanted me to sing, she replied, "Sing the one about me and you vakinyoumin." Oh yeah, everyone knows that one, G! She's a nut! And in case you didn't know, I have discovered I'm very talented at making up songs about regular mundane activities. They usually rhyme and everything. I'm serious!
So the next funny Gracie thing might be something you have to experience to see the humor. I'm not sure. But it revolves around the Sound of Music. The Carrie Underwood live version was on TV the week after Thanksgiving. And my daughter and neice and nephew loved it. We DVR'd it and fast-forwarded to their favorite songs a thousand times. But then our DVR deleted it to open up space. Annoying! So Ryan and I actually bought the poor acting, fabulous singing Carrie Underwood version at Walmart for our darling daughter. But the very next night, ABC Family showed the original Sound of Music, which G refers to as "the old vizzion" and we DVR'd it. She then informed us that the old vizzion is her favorite. Which is only a half truth because she never watches the longer more drawn out scenes that make the original like four hours long. She really just likes the puppet show during Lonely Goatherd. She knows all the words to most of the songs by now because we have the soundtrack in the car. So then just a few days ago, I showed her a VHS recording of the Sound of Music production my summer Adventure Club kids put on back in 2003. It's hard to hear and see and the actors are 6-10 years old. And now that has become her favorite vizzion. But that version has also led to some confusion for G. She now assumes that at some point in her life, in everyone's life, that she will be in her own vizzion of the Sound of Music. She's decided that she will be Leisl and practices 16 Going on 17 in the bathtub at night (except she says 16 going on 18). She asks who I want to be and Daddy. Tonight before bed she asked who Piper (a new friend) wants to be and shared that, "Kia wants to be a pink Leisl, but I told her there's only a blue Leisl. I told her she could be Gretl, and someone could carry her to bed!" This is what I'm talking about. The stuff that comes out of her mouth just kills me. I have to stifle my laughter sometimes because it makes her self-conscious when I find her hilariously funny! But she's seriously witty and thoughtful with really good delivery and timing. It's so funny!
So anyway, if my daughter asks you who you are/were/want to be in the Sound of Music, humor her and reply with something logical... Captain Von Trapp, Maria, Marta, Louisa, or Freidrick.
No comments:
Post a Comment