Here are the details... You register online the week you want to participate - $15 (plus a $5.50 transportation/gasoline fee) and you get 2 baskets full of produce. One veggie and one fruit. Literally, these people fill up 2 laundry baskets of food for you! Like most co-ops, you get what you get... no substitutions. You bring your own bag to carry your stuff home. And that's about it. It's offered in KC every other week, but you are not required to participate every time. Only when you choose to. Let me tell you, Bountiful Baskets is worth every penny you pay for it. You get at least $35 worth of produce for the price you pay. And that's comparing Aldi's prices.
Here's what I got this week.
1 heart of romaine lettuce (big!)
1 bunch of kale
2 stalks of celery
5 lbs of russet potatoes (+2 extras)
1 box of mushrooms
8 chili peppers (I think?!)
2 butternut squash
7 tomatoes
8 apples
7 pears
1 pineapple
10 bananas
I'm pretty sure that's everything. I don't know about every week, but my family will eat everything we got, except I'm not sure what I'll do with the peppers just yet. Either way, when I do my grocery shopping at Aldi tomorrow, I'm pretty certain I'll spend around $30 for our family of 3 to eat for 7 days. Not too shabby!
The volunteers fill your baskets before pick-up time. Each basket is numbered and assigned to each order. Some people even order 2 or 3 baskets. It's really cool how they do it. Each volunteer was in charge of a specific item. So she would distribute that item to each basket. Then afterward, whatever was left over was split between everyone's basket. So I got extra bananas, butternut squash, and potatoes, but someone else may have gotten extra apples, lettuce, and pineapple.
I was pretty excited to show Ryan my purchase! Not too bad for $20.50! Next time my mom and my sister want to participate, so the extra $5.50 charge will be split 3 ways, making it less than $17 per household. A steal!
Let me know if anyone local decides to order. There are a few other tips I learned in my experience that I could share. Ordering is open on the Monday and Tuesday before pickup. So the next order will open on March 24 at noon.


1 comment:
I'm excited!! I'll get my cow around then too and hopefully, my grocery bill for FIVE, will decrease!
Post a Comment