Monday, March 24, 2014

Spring Break 2014

Last week was my Spring Break from school.  Now that I'm working part-time, Spring Break has taken on a different meaning.  I used to count down the days after Christmas Break so that I could have a week to spend time with Gracie, or clean, finish projects, take a vacation, or just plain rest from the busy of the work week.  But now that I have almost enough time to keep up with the cleaning, projects, and resting, Spring Break is just about having fun!  And what makes it even more special is that it's a week of fun with me and my sister together!  While our job share gig is the coolest opportunity of our lives, it doesn't allow us as much time to play together with our kids.  It's always me and the kids, or her and the kids.  But Spring Break and Summer are such a fun change of pace for us!  We play and have picnics, watch movies and skip naps!  It really is a blast!

This year for Spring Break, we had very few plans and just sort of took the days as they came.  Most of it was spent with Steph and her kids, although Ryan took off work on Friday so we could have a family day, just the three of us.  Again... so fun to be able to just have fun together!

Thursday was the first day of spring and it happened to feel very springy that day.  Steph and I met up with some friends, Tricia, Makaela, and Drew at the park for a picnic lunch and a day to play.  While we were there, I discovered that Gracie is a swinging monkey!  She likes to swing really insanely high and, because she hasn't learned to pump her lets yet, constantly yells, "Higher!  Higher!"  Literally, I give her real, true underdogs!  You know, when you grab the seat of the swing and run under it as you push them to the sky?  She likes to swing higher than my head!  We also do "reverse underdogs" which are the same thing, only I push her from the front.  She's fearless when it comes to swinging.  But every time I give her an underdog, I say the same words, "Don't let go!"  So far this year, she hasn't fallen... knock on wood!

Gracie also quite enjoys playing in the dirt.  She hasn't had many opportunities to play in dirt before, but the freshly dragged baseball field at the park was a perfect place to try it out.  All the kids had fun making a mess of themselves on the field.  And if Gracie's bath water was any indication of the fun she had in the dirt, let me tell you, it was a lot of fun!  The grit in her hair and between her toes reminded me of my own messy self back in the day!  Gotta love a princess who isn't afraid to get her hands dirty!  A modern Belle, I suppose!









The big boys were pushing Gracie from behind and I was pushing from the front!

Natalie... who also happens to love swinging!

Kyle!


Kia climbing the slide... uh oh!

The whole crew!
Notice the squished girlies!

Heading home to rest after several hours of play.

Our trip to the zoo on Friday was extra fun because Daddy got to come with us!  The day was a tiny bit chilly, but perfect for the zoo.  We began by renting a stroller near the front gate... the only way to do the zoo if you have a little one who likes to be independent at all.  It only costs $6, which is well worth it to keep the peace in the family.  She can get in or out at her leisure, without assistance.  Score!

Gracie's absolute favorite part of the trip was the African Hunting Dogs.  We see them every time we go to the zoo, but this time one was awake and moving around.  Gracie kept hollering at the other two to "Wake up, puppies!" but they just looked at her and then snuggled in again.  We decided that the two sleeping "puppies" were the Mommy and Daddy and the awake "puppy" was the kid because he kept crying at the other two to wake up.  Sounds about right!  She named the kid puppy Gracie, because she's a kid, too.  Genius!


Trying to get a closer look at the dogs.
Yelling to the dogs!
Gracie the African Hunting Dog

We have a Gold Friends of the Zoo pass, which means we ride the train, tram, and carousel as often as we want to, with no charge.  Gracie and I have taken advantage of those rides several times, but never with Daddy.  It was extra fun taking Daddy through the tunnel and on the carousel.  We also decided to try out the African Sky Safari for the first time.  It's a ski lift that carries you all the way across the African Plains.  We rode directly over the giraffes... like our toes were just a few feet above their heads!  That was pretty fun!

Our day at the zoo was the perfect end to my Spring Break!  I cherish all the fun times I get to share with my family.  We're a super fun group!

Riding the Ladybug! 




Hollywood noticing the giraffes and zebras!

Riding over the giraffes!
We were taller than they were!




Riding the train.

Taking a much needed nap when we got home.

4 comments:

Chad & Brandi said...

Looks like a fun week but I truly hope Annabelle does not love the playing in the dirt. Annabelle can't wait to go to the zoo with Gracie!

Meghan said...

Sounds like a fun week! I seem to remember a lot of days spent playing in the dirt growing up. :)

Kristy said...

Eh... loosen up, Momma! It's nothing a little soap can't fix! And we, too, are looking forward to zoo trips together!!

Anonymous said...

Love this!!! When you're ready, I have the countdown to summer when it will mostly be warm and lots of dirt can be played in!