Sunday, July 10, 2016

Kindergarten is Coming...

Several months ago, we made the decision to send Gracie to Gashland for Kindergarten in the fall.  It was not an easy decision for us to make.  I was torn between sending her to a Lutheran School, like I'd done as a child, or to public school.  We toured both options multiple times and prayed about which school God was leading us toward.

Throughout this process, I learned some things about myself.  One thing I learned was about making big decisions.  I trust my gut.  At times, I can be an indecisive person.  I really found myself seeking the advice of friends and family throughout the process, but I really couldn't make the choice.  The pros of sending her to public school were different, but equally heavy as the pros of sending her to Lutheran school.  In the end though, I learned that my gut will tell me what's right.  At first, I wasn't comfortable with sending her to public school because I didn't want her to miss out on the religious education and I didn't want her to get lost in the shuffle of so many kids.  But in the end, we've made changes to our daily routines at home to where I feel comfortable doing most of her religious education here at home.  Additionally, I realized that Gracie isn't a "get lost in the shuffle" kind of girl.  She's outspoken and confident, so I know she will make a name for herself amongst all the kids at her school.  The final 

Another thing I really solidified was my own beliefs about education.  When we toured Gashland, I saw so many great things happening that I knew Gracie would love to be a part of.  When we toured MLA, I also saw so many great things that I knew Gracie would love to be a part of.  Ultimately, when we made the decision, I based it on the educational needs of Gracie.  As a learner, I knew she would thrive in an environment like the one I saw at Gashland, without any trouble.  I felt like she would be missing out on some of the things they have to offer (because of taxpayer money!) that MLA just can't provide. 

As the days of summer quickly fade and the school supplies start taking over all the stores, I feel sad that Kindergarten is coming to steal my firstborn sweetheart in just a few short weeks. But hidden under that sadness is also excitement for the whole new community that she's about to become a part of. I'm doing my best to get involved in that community, but I also know that it's time for her to begin to establish herself apart from me, too. In some ways, I feel like this is the beginning of a very steep hill and at the bottom is moving her into a college dorm. But then I remind myself not to be so dramatic and to just embrace each phase as it comes. I'm trying. I know she wil be cared for. I know she's ready to stand on her own two feet. And I know she's ready to learn all she can. Since I can't stop it from happening, I'm going to choose to get on board and enjoy this new phase of life with my girl. Because even though Kindergarten is stealing her soon, she'll always be mine!


At Kindergarten Roundup at Ashland

She made her own name tag!

After we met her K2K (Kindergarten Summer School) teacher, we went out for dinner!

First day of Kindergarten Summer School!

Daddy wrote her a note each morning before K2K since we was already gone to work when she woke up.
She held onto these notes and asked me to read them over and over again before we headed out the door.
So sweet!

No comments: